• Recent Posts
  • Categories
  • Pages
  • When Do My Extended Benefits (EB) Start?

    If you qualify or not for Extended Benefits depends largely on if the State of Florida qualifies for the EB program in the first place. Currently, Florida is in an EB period, which first started in April 29, 2009 and has  been extended three times. The last extension was on July 23, 2010 and was enacted by Governor Charlie Crist’s Executive Order. The current extension will expire on January 7, 2012. If you apply for Extended Benefits after this date your application will not be considered.

    If you qualify for unemployment benefits with the EB program you must apply once your Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits have expired.


    Do I Qualify for Unemployment Benefits with the Extended Benefits Program?

    To qualify for EB payments you must be either unemployed or partially unemployed. Partially unemployed means your employer reduced your work hours out of no fault of your own or that you carry out some part time work while you search for full-time employment.

    You must have also exhausted all other state and federal unemployment benefits. EB is a last resort program which focuses on long-term unemployed workers which have already exhausted other unemployment benefits.

    Florida Jobs


    How Much Will I Get Paid?

    This depends on your Florida State Unemployment Insurance benefits. Whatever weekly amount you received through your Florida State UI benefits, you will also receive in Extended Benefits. Click here for instructions on how to calculate your Florida UI benefits. In a nutshell you get the quarter of your base period when you earned the most income and divide by 26. So, if you earned $2600 in your highest earning quarter, you will receive $100 a week.


    What If I Live In Another State?

    Eligibility for Extended Benefits (EB) is dependent on where you live, not where you work. So, if you worked in Florida but now live somewhere else you need to contact that state’s unemployment agency.


    What Can I Do If I Don’t Agree With The Decision on My Appeal?

    If you feel there has been a mistake with your application, you must apply for an appeal with the Florida Unemployment Agency. For more information and forms to file the complaint, visit www.FloridaJobes.org and download their Benefit Rights brochure. 


    Whatever your question or problem it is a good idea to talk to an expert in person. You do not have to pay for employment benefits counsel, the Florida Unemployment Agency provides free advice at any of its OneStop Employment and Training Offices. Click here for an up-to-date list of offices and their contact details.

    No Comments »

    No comments yet.

    RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

    Leave a comment

    You must be logged in to post a comment.